The Complete Freaking Moron's Guide to GMing



So, I found out that I'm going to be a GM. Ever since I started playing, I've been waiting for this opportunity. Those fools have no idea what they have unleashed on their players. MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


OK, now that I have taken my medication, allow me to clarify. I am thrilled with this opportunity. But with great power, comes a great migraine. Being a GM is not the same as being a player. There is a lot more to do and you want to make sure everything goes well so the players had a rewarding and challenging experience. If it wasn't fun, you did it wrong. So, here we go.

1. Have plenty of supplies. As a player, all you really need is a figurine, a set of dice, maybe pen and paper, and your character sheet. GMs need more. You need printouts, maps, Hero Point tokens, a notebook and pen. I haven't even mentioned figures and dice. You want plenty of both. Not just to represent the enemies. Keep in mind that your table may very well have new players and those players may not have anything. Since you want them to play and come back, it's best to help them out. So, make sure you have plenty of spares.

2. Prepare extensively. I cannot stress this enough. Do not assume that this something that you are going to able to cobble together at the last possible second. As a player, extensive preparation is my gimmick. I prepare to a level Batman would find excessive. I will research my character class, look at websites, consult forums, chat on Discord, all to bring it on game day. GMs require more. Look at the Gamemastery Guide and the Guide to Organized Play for GMs on the Paizo website. Know your scenarios. Know what the enemies can do. Look at possible traps and surprises. Print both blank character sheets and Iconic character sheets for your players to use. Make sure you have everything ready to go well before game day.

3. Know your troops. Allow me to elaborate on my previous point. It is important to know what the enemies are capable of. They have special abilities. They have skills. Many of them are capable of the same tactics the players are. Use that. Don't just blindly attack over and over. Make it challenging for the players. At the same time, keep role-playing in mind. A group of thugs or soldiers are good for advanced combat tactics like flanking. Animals and mindless undead can do the same but it does not make sense for them to do it since they do not have the intelligence to fight strategically. Don't ruin the immersion for players.

4. Find your balance. Having your adventure result in a Total Party Kill might make you laugh but it discourages newer players and may keep them from coming back. At the same time, making the game too easy bores everyone and likewise may prevent people from coming back. Find out what works for you.

5. Coordinate with your Society and players. Unless you are running your own group, it's a pretty safe bet you answer to someone. Make sure to stay in touch with that person. Discuss venue, date, time, and what is ok to play. While the choice of scenario is still yours, you don't want to run something people have done recently. Keep in touch with your players so you can help them with characters or address any other concerns. Doing this will also give you a good idea of what to expect from the players. Communication is always critical.
    
There it is. These are the guidelines I intend to follow as I prepare to GM. I feel that I can't go wrong by doing this and neither can you. Have fun, try not to traumatize your new players, and hopefully everyone will want to get together again. Class dismissed!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love to GM

Dice Dice Baby

Your Friendly Neighborhood Fighter-Man: The Academy Guide to Fighters