Dice Dice Baby

 


I love dice. Who doesn't? Dice are the single most important piece of gear any gamer can have. Pathfinder, like any good RPG, is governed by the roll of the dice. That said, there are many types of dice out there and I thought I would go through them and tell you what I think.

1. Plastic Dice: These are the most common type of dice out there. Odds are, when you first started, you had these. Either a sympathetic GM gave them to you or you bought them because you didn't want to commit tons of cash to something you weren't sure you were going to like. Plastic dice are inexpensive and that is why they remain popular. 

2. Metal Dice: For my part, I have always despised plastic dice. Inexpensive they may be, but they are also light and the roll can go anywhere. I bought metal dice early on in my Pathfinder career and never looked back. I like them because they not only look cool but they are heavier and I feel that it is easier to control the roll. A word of warning. If you use metal dice, buy a felt dice tray to avoid damage to the venue's table.

3. Resin Dice: Resin dice are often seen as they happy median between metal and plastic dice. They look cool and are still relatively inexpensive. Though, they are usually of better quality than a set of plastic dice. If you are looking for a cool aesthetic but don't want to break the bank, a set of resin dice may be for you.

4. Gemstone Dice: Nothing says that you have too much money like gemstone dice. Made from real stone, these dice look expensive. While I am unsure as to how they roll, I do know that they are high-maintenance, and that great care must be taken when rolling or storing them. To me, that makes them an expensive and impractical option. But to each their own. If you want to show off to the rest of the table, these dice are for you.

There are lots of good dice out there. Buy online or from your local store. Conventions also have a variety of dice for you to buy. Experiment and decide what is best for you. As that goes for creating and playing your character, so it goes with the dice you use. May you never roll a 1 and have fun with your dice. Class Dismissed!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love to GM

Your Friendly Neighborhood Fighter-Man: The Academy Guide to Fighters